Next week is another busy week. Babysitting tomorrow night, shower Saturday, Monday we've gotta pick up my passport, Wednesday is my driver's test, Thursday is a class at the hospital, and Friday is my eye appointment. Phew.
I found new incentive to stay here and work: TRAVELING. We got the Kabel yesterday, and stupidly I perused through the magazine to see what trips were going to be happening in April & May, even though I totally knew I wouldn't be able to go on them.
And what did I find?
A dream come true trip that is only being offered this ONE time, and I swear I actually cried because I knew I wouldn't be able to go.
A Sound of Music themed overnight tour!
It would be a drive to Salzburg, Austria, a tour of some of the different places the movie was filmed at, including the gazebo where they filmed Going on 17, the lake everyone fell in, a look at their house, the church they filmed the wedding in, and the pathway Julie Andrews skipped up on her way up to the family's house. Not to mention walking time around Salzburg, overnight in a 4 star hotel, and another stop in another very long hard-to-pronounce town.
Seriously, you don't even know how badly I would LOVE to take this tour/trip. This being my favorite movie starring with my most respected actress/singer. If they offer this again, I WOULD go with my baby and be "that parent."
So that got me thinking. After KR gets back, we want to travel Europe, since we'll be PCSing in May or so of next year, and we have a nice long list of places we really want to go to, and know we will hardly ever be able to afford to come back to Europe unless we got based here again - the extent of the trips, of course, depending on fundage. However, if I STAYED here and worked, half my money would be to pay off my school loans, and the other half would be pure savings, aka TRAVELING. Then KR's paycheck could go to our REAL savings account. Oh, God, how TEMPTING that is!!!
However, it is really daunting thinking of all that frivolous traveling when we might not even get a paycheck next Friday due to a possible gov't shutdown. I love how leave is canceled and military members are forced to continue working; however, they won't receive their pay until a budget is passed.
And yet, companies like GE, makes over $10 billion dollars in pure profit, pay ZERO taxes on it, and still rake in $3.5 billion dollars worth of TAX BREAKS - which essentially means: The money we paid in taxes went to a company that already pocketed billions of dollars, instead of the health, safety, education, military and infrastructure of our beautiful country that desperately need attention and funding to function 100%.
And that was my political-ness for the day.
Hard to be indifferent when your livelihood depends on it, and you barely make above the level of poverty.




No comments:
Post a Comment